Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Peanut Butter Taste Test

We love peanut butter around here.  We love it so much, we go through a large container at least once a week.  Even more during the holiday's when I make my famous Peanut Butter Bon Bons (you'll have to wait till December for that recipe :)).   I am so fortunate that no one in the house has nut allergies and  honestly don't know what mom's feed their kids who DO have nut allergies....

When we gave up trans fats, we did it very slowly, trading in one trans fat food item for a comparable item that was trans fat free.  Once we got used to the 'replacement', we'd do it again with th next food.  We decided to start with peanut butter since we consumed so much of it, although we had to sample a few to find one we really liked.  I first tried the super All Natural Laura Scudders Peanut Butter.  Let me just tell you, having to mix the oil into the peanut butter was annoying and difficult, so difficult, I built up some biceps and forearm muscles (ok, ok, not THAT bad).  It aslo had to stay refridgerated, which made it impossible to spread, the bread would tear, it wouldn't go on creamy like old school Skippy or Jif.  After dealing with that for awhile, I was very excited when Skippy and then later, Jif, both came out with All Natural Creamy (and Chunk) Peanut Butters.   We started buying the Skippy because that was our pre-switch peanut butter of choice.  But once Jif came out with their version and I saw it was less expensive, we decided to give it a try as well. 

So, in a totally unscientific survey, I fed my kids PB & J's two days in a row.  The first day was with their favorite, the Skippy.  They ate their sandwiches without a word.  The second day, I fed them the Jif peanut butter on their sandwiches.  I am not kidding you, one bite into it, they both were like, Eww, what peanut butter is THIS, mom?!?  Even my husband thought it was gross.  It was a little more gritty, saltier and not as smooth as the Skippy.  I still keep that jar in my pantry in case we run out (I hate to waste peanut butter!!) but I think I should just toss it, as none of us like it and the kids won't touch it.  Sorry Jif, but this one goes to Skippy (plus the name is cooler).   

No comments:

Post a Comment